I am an avid blog reader. In my daily readings, I saw this thing about writing things that you know to be true. I am picking 23 things since I am 23 years old.
To be honest, I am having a really hard time feeling joyful today. I thought that I had a summer job lined up, but the details didn’t end up working out. I have been waiting for a full-time job for over 9 months, so it’s really hard to keep being optimistic that something will come through for me. So, in an effort to find some joy, I will attempt to think of 23 things that I know to be true.
1. I never, ever have to go to the bathroom until Danny occupies ours. Then, I suddenly feel as if I am about to explode. Seriously—this happens at least once a night.
2. I always have a moment of paralyzing fear when facing a classroom of students. All thoughts fly out of my head, and I feel as if I am not qualified to be a human being. Then, after I utter my first word, I suddenly feel calm and remember, “Yeah, I do know how to do this. And, I really like it.”
3. Any situation can be bearable if you remember to bring a book.
4. If you pretend to be absorbed an any type of activity while at school, you can hear kids say all sorts of interesting things. You can hear them talk about other teachers, their weekend plans, or any number of things. It’s fascinating.
5. I feel most like myself when wearing shorts and a sweatshirt.
6. It’s really nice to have a husband who pretends not to judge you if you choose to rock out to ‘NSYNC while writing blog posts.
7. Water has a healing quality. There is nothing quite as refreshing and rejuvenating as a shower.
8. I pretend that I always want Danny to be the one on stage in front of everyone—when in reality, sometimes, I want to be the one getting all the attention.
9. I got most of my accurate knowledge about Bible stories from listening to Adventures in Odyssey.
10. I would have been a better English major if I had started college at 23 as opposed to 18.
11. I get really offended internally if I hear someone say that I have brown hair.
12. I made really, really funny faces when I played soccer.
13. I missed seeing a lot of sights on family vacations because I never looked up from my books.
14. I will never be the most tan person at a party.
15. I will get overly competitive when playing Battle of the Sexes.
16. Sometimes, you just need to sleep on the couch in front of the television.
17. This is the creepiest I have ever seen Danny look.
18. It’s never good to start serious discussions after 11:00 in the evening.
19. I am impossibly cute when I wake up in the morning.
20. Eating chinese food always seems like a good decision, but you always end up paying for it later.
21. Spending a day in an elementary school classroom is one of the most hilarious ways to use your time. Guaranteed, at least one child will say something so funny that you will be unable to keep a straight face.
22. Giant squid are the most terrifying creatures in the world.
23. Finally, it’s never a bad decision to carry a little toilet paper in your purse. You never know when you might need some.